Estalagem Quinta de Santo Antonio is a typical Alentejo "Monte" which is the Portuguese for a very large farming estate. The Quinta's private chapel was constructed in 1715.
This small hotel is near Elvas, a town famous for its sugar plums. It was a fortified town to protect against invasion by Spain. On the other side of the border the Spanish town of Badajoz has similar fortifications to protect the inhabitants from the Portuguese!
Three imposing gates lead into the city and its star shaped walls and trio of forts are among the most complex and best preserved military fortifications surviving in Europe. During its long and chequered history, has been besieged by the Moors, the French and the English and, of course, the Spanish.
The earliest stretches of the walls date from the thirteenth century, but most of what you see today is a result of the Wars with Spain in the seventeenth century.
The agricultural estate where the Estalagem is set was bought by the present owners family in 1908.
The main building was extensively renovated in 1995 and converted into a small hotel retaining a wealth of original features.
The Estalagem has a total of thirty bedrooms all with private bathrooms, air conditioning, TV and telephone.
The sitting rooms and library are ideal places for reading and conversation. Guests should take the opportunity to enjoy the best in regional cuisine at the "Quinta" restaurant.
Outside there are two tennis courts and a 5 a side football area.
Horse riding, paintball contests, carriage driving for children and other activities can be arranged with prior notice.
Indoor games include table tennis, pool and table football.
There is a swimming pool in the grounds with beautiful views over the cork oaks and olive groves of the plain.
The friendly inn of Quinta de Santo Antonio is surrounded by acres of beautifully tended gardens with ornamental fountains. The gardens retain their original VXII century style with shady arbours for relaxation.
There is also a conference room, with modern audio-visual equipment, accommodating a maximum of 200 persons.
Marvao golf course is about 40 minutes drive away. Lisbon airport is approximately 205 kilometres away with almost the whole journey being by modern road.